Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Isn't it ironic... don't you think

An incredibly frightening and awkward part of being a minister is that you speak on behalf of God. There are a great deal of people in this world with an incredible amount of responsibility, and I in no way discredit either themselves or their job; however, I would be remiss were I to not say that in my mind there is no more daunting task in all of humanity than giving a tangible representation to an intangible being. Imagine the audacity of imperfection to portray perfection with words, much less a lifestyle. The concept to me is ludicrous – downright absurd. Yet in the ultimate act of irony, which I have come to believe is one of the Lord’s favorite tools, he asks his flawed children to express in word and deed his flawlessness, an impossible task from the beginning. For if we were able to portray perfection we wouldn’t need God in the first place... irony runs rampant through his story, through history – irony is the beauty of the story of God.

Aside from an Alanis Morissette song from high school I’m not sure I ever understood the power of irony until I moved to New York. I was born in Baton Rouge, LA, and within a couple weeks my parents moved to Colorado "for 2 years." They stayed 22. With my degree in hand, weeks from my birth into adulthood I moved from Texas to New York, committing to 2 years of service... it’s been 3 going on 22. An irony that has not failed to escape my mother, whose already impressive prayer life has only increased on my behalf, beseiging the Father to "bring me home". Irony has made it’s bed in my life, and as I sit here washing its silk sheets, I am convinced God will keep it there for the rest of my service to him.

I can spout many stories of irony; besides stress, sleeplessness, fear and male pattern balding, irony is one of the many byproducts of investing in the unknown, in the future, in human lives. It rears its unexpected head time and time again, and upon deeper reflection, it never ceases to bring you back to the One who put it there in the first place. Irony returns my heart to my God, that even when things turn out just the way you didn’t want, somehow there is someone who can make good of all the bad... the irony.

To save you three days of reading and a thousand stories I’ll share with you the most recent irony here. I work with what the world calls "troubled young men"... they’re really just normal teens for the most part, they just got caught... the irony. Is their normality a sad commentary on our culture, definitely, but it’s the truth. On Monday I took these young men to a fancy breakfast commemorating Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (It’s a Baptist event, so you have to put Rev. at the front). Dressed in suits these young men the world thinks are nothing but troubled, flawed young men from imperfect backgrounds, behaved as perfect gentlemen.

The keynote speaker was a prominent African American businessman, a graduate of Harvard in both Business and Law, a Public Servant, an entrepreneur and a philanthropist. Not the greatest of public speakers, but one heck of a man. He spoke of the irony of King’s power. He spoke of his accomplishments post mortem, the rewards he received, the steps humanity has made, the influence of a dead man to living men. My wish was that he would have been a little more articulate, but his gist was lucidly powerful. He spoke to a middle class audience comprised of successful business men and women, of bankers and clerks, teachers and lawyers, politicians and pastors, and about 25 "troubled young men" who were incredibly out of place. He spoke to this mob about a man who emerged from the very same crowd, a third generation collegiate graduate, King’s father and grandfather had both graduated from college... he was not without. King was not fighting for a job, if he was only "looking out for me and mine" he would have needed to make no such stand. I had never known that about the man, and it was all the more impressive to me that he would offer his life on the altar of equality as the last man who needed to... the irony.

The speaker went on the to portray the ultimate irony of King’s power, the power of peace. That the very institutions that tried to hold him back, the very universities that would not let him in, the very organizations who refused to acknowledge him, all are closed on this day, they cannot do business, they do not offer classes, they close their doors to the world in honor of the man they once closed their doors and minds to... the irony.

So leaving there, juiced by a powerful message and a very moving Kirk Franklin song, I took the boys home. And when we arrived back at the Ranch I could only imagine the growth and education that came from that morning. I left, excited. Hours later I returned, the very same day, to a group of young men watching Malcolm X on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, to hear them threatening to slap all the white people, and desiring the freedom to express their "civil liberties". On the very day where we celebrate one of history’s greatest proponents of peace, the day that commemorates our most memorable pacifist... the birthday of the very man who uttered the words of one of my favorite quotes

"The past is prophetic in that it asserts loudly that wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows"

on this very day to commemorate the man who fought a fight without violence, and whose death brought about in many ways a new life to this nation, the most my young men can muster is a broken line from a movie by an annoying, short new yorker of a historical figure who stood in direct opposition to the very man for whom we stop this day to remember... the irony.

And what has this day accomplished, the end of the story has yet to be seen, but the irony has the same effect on me as it always has. It brings me back to the only One who can bring the good from the bad. The only One who offered the greatest of gifts to a people who couldn’t have cared any less. The One who sent perfection to walk among an imperfect world, who offered love to the unlovable, grace to the unforgivable, and life to those trapped in death. And what did humanity do with such a gift, we rejected it. The very thing we need the most is the last thing we want... the irony.

Irony is the beauty of the story of God. It exists throughout history as a lighthouse calling all those lost to return home, and it’s the beacon that brings me back every time to the feet of the One who has given me everything when I offer nothing in exchange. And so here I sit again, trying my best to do an impossible task, to speak on behalf of God... the only one who deals in irony, who can take the bad of this world and make it good.


He was beaten, he was tortured,
but he didn't say a word.
Like a lamb taken to be slaughtered
and like a sheep being sheared,
he took it all in silence.
Justice miscarried,
and he was led off—
and did anyone really know what was happening?
He died without a thought for his own welfare,
beaten bloody for the sins of my people.
They buried him with the wicked,
threw him in a grave with a rich man,
Even though he'd never hurt a soul
or said one word that wasn't true.

Still, it's what God had in mind all along,
to crush him with pain.
The plan was that he give himself as an offering for sin
so that he'd see life come from it—life, life, and more life.
And God's plan will deeply prosper through him.

Out of that terrible travail of soul,
he'll see that it's worth it and be glad he did it.
Through what he experienced, my righteous one, my servant,
will make many "righteous ones,"
as he himself carries the burden of their sins.
Therefore I'll reward him extravagantly—
the best of everything, the highest honors—
Because he looked death in the face and didn't flinch,
because he embraced the company of the lowest.
He took on his own shoulders the sin of the many,
he took up the cause of all the black sheep.
God’s plan, Isaiah 53:7ff... the irony.

Comments:
probably the best you've written, and you've written some fine words. thanks for doing what you do, and for sharing and inspring others striving to do the same in different contexts.
 
Good Stuff - My brother from another mother! No response would do justice do your words. Thanks for remembering MLK. I've said for a while that I think he was a prophet.

Your doing an awesome job and I am proud to say I know you. Love ya bro!
 
Don't know you, but you are a friend of a friend (troy oliver). That was some powerful stuff, actually the same passage I am preparing to speak on this coming week...

Willing to have some of your stuff used creatively for another's sermon?

todd greer
todd@holmesroad.org
 
Matt, the things that you write on your blog are great. I end up reading the post several times to gather all of the thoughts that are in it, there is much wisdom in each post, and it takes several times to gather all of the wisdom and honesty that you have packed in your writings.

You have a gift with words, but the way you live your life...and then write about it is the real beauty.

Matt, thanks for sharing your gift!
 
Matt - We need to talk. Lana and I are planning to come to NYC in March for our 5 yr anniversiary. If you haven't heard from me by tomorrow email me at pagedoug@hotmail.com or call me.

I need to know where you think we should stay and your "TOP 10" list of things to do while we are there. I need to talk to you ASAP because we want to book our flight, hotel, etc.

Look forward to talking to you soon.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]